Sunday, March 8, 2009

Losing Weight, Feeling Good!

I've been really trying to lose weight, for the first time in a coupe of years. I'm happy to say, it's been very successful so far! Starting on February 27th, I have been writing down everything I eat during the day, along with the calories (WebMD has a pretty good calorie guide). In addition, I've ramped up my exercising. I was already walking about 30 minutes 5 to 6 days a week. I've now added a short walk after lunch and dinner, ab exercises every morning and night (bicycle crunches) and 20 minutes of free weights every other day. The sum total so far is about 7 pounds, and I've lost it without really killing myself. In other words, I think I am making a lifestyle change here. I hope I am.

I can see it in my face - less puffy - and I have several pairs of pants that were tight and are not much better fitting in the waist! I also seem to have more energy. I was 202 at the beginning of the year and weight 192 right now (although I was about 199 when I started on february 23).

The funny part is watching the calories. It really forces you to look for items that you can fill up on without running up the calorie total, versus having a small portion of something that has a lot of calories. And it forces you to plan ahead a bit too. For example, I knew I was going out to lunch today, so I really had to watch what I ate yesterday so I didn't go way over. I am trying to stay in a range of 900 - 1200 calories per day.

The increased exercise has been good, too. I love to walk, and with the improving weather, I tend to walk more anyways. The weights have been a struggle. I am mainly working on upper-body stuff, to try and build the muscles a bit. But I can feel that working too.

No comments: