Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I LIKE the World Baseball Classic!

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the WBC. Most pundits - and managers and GM's - don't like it. Too much risk of injury, time away from the team during spring training, too intense too early in the year.... These are all reasons why the teams don't like it.

But I've watched a lot of the games this spring, and I have to say that I really like it! Compared to watching spring training games, watching guys with numbers like 83, 97 and 134 filling out most team's line-ups, especially after the 5th inning, is incredibly boring and a waste of time, even for a baseball nut like me.... The intensity level of the WBC is certainly much higher than spring training, and even feels like a play-off environment in some of the games, especially the elimination games - like last night's US - Puerto Rico game, which both teams had to win to stay alive. I mean, David Wright came through in the clutch - how big is that?? And how unusual is that!

I have to admit to some concern when I learned that Dustin Pedroia got hurt, although it sounds like it's relatively minor. And when I was watching the Japan team play - Dice-K was pitching - I was also concerned that he got through the game ok. He and Pedroia are 2 major pieces for the Sox this year.

But overall I'd have to say that I'm pro-WBC. The games are great - I mean, Netherlands knocking off the Dominican Republic twice? Are you kidding me? That's great stuff! A bunch of guys with glasses and with names like Vanden Hurk, Schoop, Duursma (and Curt Smith (huh?)) knock off Big Papi and his boys - cool stuff for sure.

Looking forward to 2012 already.....

No comments: