Thursday, June 22, 2017

Welcome Back.... To Me!

I recently came across the bookmark for my various blogs - one for each of my MGB's, a general auto-related one, and a blog I used to maintain for my son Rob's Scout Troop, Troop 888 in Dayton NJ. And this one. I thought I would resurrect this because, God knows, just like lawyers, we can always use another blog.....

I thought maybe I would restart this by talking about our dog, Bo. We adopted him in October of 2014, about 6 months after our previous dog of 15 years, Dixie, passed away. We felt like it was the right time to do it, and try to fill the void left by Dixie. We are dog owners, and you can't really escape that fact.... They add a lot to our quality of life and I especially enjoyed having some company at home while I work. That was the toughest adjustment for me, not having that daily companion. Just having a dog lying in the study while I worked was very comforting somehow. And dogs are always excited to see you.  

So, Bo. We adopted him from the Humane Society in Tinton Falls, and kind of fell in love with him as soon as we walked him outside of his cage. He seemed to have a good personality, which has been borne out over time. Unfortunately, he had a rough life up until the time he was rescued. He was a bait dog for a fighting ring in Newark, and when he was found, it was apparent that he had recently been in the ring. What they do with bait dogs - raise them to be submissive and when they are old enough, they duct tape their muzzle shut, put tape around their paws (so they can't injure the fighting dogs) and throw them into the pit for the fighting dogs to practice on..... Bo was pretty marked up when he was found, and still bears some scars from his earlier life. He was still pretty shy and submissive when we first got him, but has come out of his shell now and is a lot of fun.

Here is a picture of what he looked like - he's on the cover under his 'previous' name, Aslan -

https://www.ahscares.org/downloads/HN-October13.pdf

That's him in the top photo, with the red collar. His story is on page 7. Still disgusts me to read it. He seems like a 'normal' dog now, although he likes to be around us most of the time. Which is fine with us!

 

No comments: