Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dixie's Latest Conquest

So yesterday Dixie decided to stalk and take out some sort of creature in our back yard. I am not sure what it is, but it was fairly large and had some fight in it.

She had been whining about going out several times during the course of the morning. Right after non, she went out and was just standing on the patio gazing intently towards the back fence. I thought she was having one of her Alzheimer's moments where she goes outside then apparently forgets why she wanted to go out.... Kind of like me going to the grocery store without a list. Then I looked up and saw something waddling across the yard at the base of the fence. Dixie spotted it the same time as me, and she took off like I haven't seen her run in a couple of years. I yelled after her, then assumed that whatever it was would get under the chain-link fence between our yard and the Hamiltons. Once I saw her pounce and start growling and shaking her head back and forth violently, I knew that wasn't going to be the case. It was kind of gruesome, as she was very single-minded and focused on apparently killing the poor beast. That took a couple of minutes, and then she came out from behind the tree in the corner of the yard with the carcass drooping in her mouth. I finally got her to put it down and come to me. She was covered in blood, and looked like she had two big burises under her eyes on the side of her muzzle... I could not tell whether the blood was from her or the animal but I feared the worst and started thinking about how to protect the interior of my car if I had to take her to the vet...

Well, long story short, I got her into the bath tub and all of the blood washed off, although the sides of the tub and shower looked like the shower scene from Psycho as she shook herself off several times during the ordeal. The bad part for her was that I would not let her back outside until Rob came home from school 2 hours later to help me dispose of the remains!






No comments: