Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dan's 2010 Reading Plans

I generally try to lay out a reading plan, if not in written form, then in my mind, as I enter a new year. Last year I knew I would be focusing on finding some new authors and reading a lot of fiction. For 2010, I have a couple of thoughts.

There are some series I want to re-read. Specifically, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series (been years since I read any of those); Tony Hillerman's Navajo Tribal Police mysteries (I've never read them in chronological order); maybe The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (this one I read over a 10- or 11-year period as King saw fit to dribble them out.....). Then there is another Southwestern series of mysteries by David and Amy Thurlo that look good, in the spirit of Tony Hillerman. I may also re-read Asimov's Robot novels.

I also have about 5 Hugh Corbett mysteries left, and Paul Doherty has a couple of other mystery series with different characters that I will look at. Like the Hugh Corbett books, some of them I may have to locate used, as they are a bit obscure.

I also want to read some more classic history - Carthage, ancient Greece, etc. Maybe something on Hannibal, Alexander the Great. I have a pretty good feel for ancient Rome - the start of the Republic and the move into the Empire. I would like to read about the decline and fall of Rome as well. Then maybe move into the Middle Ages. Should be a good year, reading-wise!

No comments: